BookMooch logo

home browse about join login
Forum: BookMooch Discussion
PREV -
NEXT +
MESSAGES >
?

Insufficient packaging - what do you do?

Hello everyone,
Various times during my time using BM, I have received mooches in wrapping that has fallen apart before getting to me. Sometimes the books have been completely rewrapped by Royal Mail, usually when entering the UK, other times not. Usually the books aren't damaged, but I'd rather people wrapped their mooches more thoroughly. All the damaged packaging has been either thin paper with no packaging inside or sometimes the US flat rate envelopes.

So, what do you do if the packaging is damaged? Do you mention it to the moocher who sent it to you? Leave +0 or -1 feedback? Ignore it? I've mentioned it to the moocher in this instance because it was very thin paper and nothing else, sent internationally.
Lydia

Lydia Marmorstein
12 years ago

Comments

Hear hear!
This is a frequent problem. Many packages arrive damaged, and often from the people who are first to ask why the book hasn't been acknowledged as received only a week after it was sent from another country! I've given up commenting.
Investing in a roll of decent quality tape should be high on the recommendations for anyone sending packages anywhere. "Magic" tape might work for office documents, but it's ridiculous to use it for a parcel going by post.

Always wrap "against", not "for" the post. The package has to resist mechanisation, being thrown around, dragged around in mailbags, and so on. It's a parcel for the post, not a pretty birthday present!
jacquie
12 years ago
I would only leave negative feedback if the book had been damaged, but I do usually mention it if the packaging showed up torn. I still give a +1 since I have the book in good condition.
Sarah
12 years ago
I usually mention that they should check the wrapping recommendations in the forums or the wiki, since it came unwrapped, torn, or whatever. But I give +1 for effort, and am nice about it.
Robin
12 years ago
I've mentionned it a couple times when the wrapping was a bit on the light side and got scrunched in transit in a way that caused the book to be partly exposed on arrival, or temporarily waylaid for rewrapping by the postal services.

Never felt the need to lower feedback though, as there was no or only minor damage to the books.

Aude
12 years ago
Not a problem I've had yet but I think some people try to minimise weight and therefore mailing costs. I sent a book to Sweden from the UK today in a bubble wrap reinforced envelope and it cost over £5.
Jonathan
12 years ago

Write a comment

Join this forum

Receive this thread by email

Security check: type the name of the author displayed in the image below

SAVE YOUR COMMENT >